What is the Youth Mobility Scheme?

The youth mobility scheme is for young people (18 -30) from certain countries and territories who want to come and experience life in the UK. Each year, the UK government allocates a specific number of places for each country and territory. The Tier 5 visa allows young people from the listed countries entry to live and work in the UK for up to two years. Anyone who meets this criteria is eligible to work as a L'Arche assistant in the UK.

Who can apply?

You can apply for a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa if you:

  • want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
  • are aged 18 to 30
  • have £1,890 in savings
  • have certain types of British Nationality or are from these countries:
    Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, Taiwan

You cannot apply if you have:

  • children who live with you
  • children you’re financially responsible for
  • already been in the UK under the scheme or in the former ‘working holidaymaker’ category

How long will the visa take to process?

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before you travel. You can also pay for a faster decision.

How much does it cost to apply?

It costs £244 to apply. You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.

How long can you stay?

You’ll be given a visa to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months. You can enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid, and leave and come back at any time during your stay. If you turn 31 while you’re in the UK, you can stay for as long as your visa is valid.

More information

You can find out more about Youth Mobility Scheme visa here.

Apply to be a live-in assistant

Assistants' stories