Be inspired by some of the most dramatic scenery England has to offer on this classic bike ride from west to east.

Departing from the coast of West Cumbria at Whitehaven, this challenging itinerary stretches for 200km until reaching the North Sea at Whitley Bay.

The picturesque route crosses the northern edge of the Lake District, then climbs into the dramatic landscapes of the northern Pennines. Following the ancient fringes of Hadrian’s Wall, it then heads down to the coastline of Whitley Bay.

Choose from the dates below:

 2022  2023
 22th–25th September - BOOK NOW  4th–7th May - BOOK NOW
 22th–25th June - BOOK NOW
   21th–24th September - BOOK NOW


What you’ll receive from L’Arche:

  • Fundraising pack
  • Free branded sports vest
  • One-to-one fundraising support

Every gift you raise helps L'Arche

£10 could fund an hour of one of our local initiatives like a community café or creative workshop

£25 could fund a community party, celebrating the gifts of someone with a learning disability

£100 could mean a person with a learning disability has the support to continue going out and enjoy hobbies in times of Covid

See how we’re investing your money in L’Arche – click here.

Event details:

Cycling distance 140 miles/230km

Dates 5-8th May 2022, 23-26th June 2022, 22-25th September 2022, 4-7th May 2023, 22-25th June 2023, 21-24th September 2023

Location Whitehaven to Whitley Bay, UK

Registration fee £99

Minimum fundraising £1,300 – we will retain 50% of your fundraising plus any additional fundraising you achieve

Fundraising deadlines At least 80% to be paid 10 weeks before departure. The remaining 20% within 2 weeks of your return

Minimum age Minimum age is 14 years. Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult for the duration of the walk


For more information about the cycle, click here. For FAQs about the cycle, click here.

For more information about fundraising for L’Arche, click here.

Have a question about this event?

Contact us:

[email protected]

0161 438 2832

Back to challenge events