Becoming a L’Arche assistant is an extraordinary and life changing experience.
L'Arche London assistants come from all over the world, from all walks of life and all ages. Some have been with L'Arche for over thirty years, others join us for just a year. However long you choose to stay, you will meet some inspirational people and have a challenging but rewarding time.
If you are interested in joining one of our communities, there are some things you should consider:
- The rhythm and culture of each L'Arche house is set by the people with learning disabilities who have made it their home.
- As a live-in L'Arche assistant you may live either in a dedicated home for assistants or alongside people with disabilities.
- Some people with learning disabilities can express frustrations through challenging behaviour.
- You may be asked to support people with their personal care.
- You will be expected to do housework.
- L'Arche is a Christian Community. We welcome people of all faiths, or none, but we expect you to be open to all aspects of other people's spirituality.
- It is important to understand that in the UK, L'Arche communities are faith communities and professional support providers. We are regulated and inspected, and must legally meet set standards. This means we require a level of competence and expect all assistants to undergo initial and on-going training.